I'm getting questions from people looking for help with Outlook after upgrading to iCloud 3 (or newer). It seems that after installing and configuring iCloud, they can’t send email from Outlook using their iCloud email accounts: a box keeps popping up with the outgoing server string and asking the user to enter their username and password. Some users also report receiving error:
0x80004005 - cannot synchronize subscribed folders
This is caused by a bad server configuration in the iCloud setup. Apple changed the server configuration - the following server names should work, not the names that begin with p00 (where 00 is any 2-digit number).
In Outlook 2010 and newer, look in File, Account Settings, double click on the iCloud account to open the Change Account dialog.
The first page will have the server names. Use smtp.mail.me.com as the SMTP server name and imap.mail.me.com for the IMAP (incoming) server name.
The following are the account settings entered on the first page of the account setup dialog.
After checking (or completing) the account setup dialog, click More Settings buttons. On the Outgoing Server tab, select:
- My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Use same settings as my incoming mail server
On the Advanced tab, set the port numbers and select SSL/TLS:
- Incoming server (IMAP) Use port 993 and enable SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP) Use port 587 and enable TLS (select TLS first, then change the port number)
More Outlook and iCloud articles at slipstick.com:
- Create a Task and copy to another Tasks folder
- How to fix the iCloud APLZOD.dll error in Outlook
- iCloud Add-in is not listed in Outlook Add-ins
- iCloud and Outlook Problems: Syncing Calendar
- iCloud and Outlook Repair Now error
- iCloud Doesn't Sync
- iCloud error: Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile
- iCloud for Outlook 2016
- iCloud is hijacking Meeting Invitations
- iCloud, Outlook 2016, and Windows 10
- Issues Syncing Outlook and iCloud Contacts
- Outlook and iCloud Sync Issues
- Outlook and iCloud: default data files
- Outlook and iCloud: What you need to know
- Outlook crashes when syncing iCloud calendars
- Save appointments to a non-default Outlook calendar folder
- Save New Contacts to iCloud Contacts
- Syncing iPhone Sent Messages with Outlook
- Transfer POP3 Mail on an iPhone to Outlook