Keeping up with changes in user details can be a real bother for Exchange Server administrators. A variety of techniques allow users to update their own details, using ADSI and CDO techniques.
GAL Modify Tool and GAL Modify for Web Tool for Exchange 5.5:
- XADM: How To Install and Use the Global Address List Modify for Web Tool
GAL Modify Tool for Exchange 2000:
- XADM How to Use the GAL Modify Tool
- ADSI Mailbox Admin Outlook Form
- CDOLive has a code sample of an Outlook 98 form that lets users modify their mailbox properties.
- How to allow users to change their profile details on the Exchange Server -- Delphi 5 sample allowing a user to create, update, and delete an Exchange 5.5 mailbox; also available in compiled version. (IMI has other excellent Exchange programming examples.)
Tools in the Spotlight
Directify gives the typical end user the ability to update their directory information (telephone number, office location etc) using their web browser browser. Object creation as well as updating group membership is possible as well. All LDAP directories are supported.
IMI GAL Modify is a small utility for Exchange Admin to modify the Mailbox attributes on MS Exchange Server 5.5. Works on MS Windows 95/98/Me, allowing the admin to modify the mailboxes from a desktop machine.
Directory Update is a "self-service" web application that allows a user to update their own information in the Active Directory and thus in the Global Address List (GAL). The web interface is customizable so that a user can provide only valid information (such as city, department, title) and the telephone number format can be validated. Other features include photo uploads, SMTP email notification of changes, auditing, and optional forgot-password and resource domain modules.
Synchronize objects between multiple domains and forests. Share information securely between Exchange organizations. GALsync allows you to share Exchange mail-enabled objects of your Active Directory forest with other forests. Transfer types are ftp, windows shares and email. Encryption possible. Sharing objects helps users in one or both messaging organizations to access information about users and groups of the partner organization. No additional software or hardware required. Works with Windows 200x and Exchange 200x. Version 2.5