Outlook 2002 makes the Newprof.exe and Modprof.exe utilities used by administrators obsolete. Instead, .prf files can be run directly, as part of the command to Outlook, or as part of the Office installation. This page is devoted to tips for creating and using Outlook .prf files, which are not totally documented. See More Information below for general information.
Avoid extra backups
Even if the profile .prf file includes these lines:
it may create multiple “Backup of …” profiles if you run it multiple times. The solution is apparently to add this undocumented line
to the Section 1, [General] section.
Create a Unicode PST file
If using the CMW or CIW (Custom Wizards from the Office Resource Kit) to create a *.PRF containing a Unicode pst, note that there is a bug in the wizards and you’ll need to change the Unicode pst’s encryption type from:
- Create an Outlook Profile file (*.PRF) (uses the Office Custom Installation Wizard) Outlook 2003
- Adding Email Accounts to a PRF Outlook 2003
- Creating a PRF
- Customizing Outlook Profiles by Using PRF Files (Office 2003 ORK)
- Whitepaper: Configuring Outlook Profiles by Using a PRF File.
- Customizing Profiles with an Outlook Profile File (Office XP ORK )
- HOW TO- Specify Exchange Server Settings for Outlook 2002 User Profiles in the Custom Installation Wizard
- HOW TO- Create a PRF File for Configuring MAPI Profiles During a Customized Outlook 2002 Installation
- HOW TO Add and Customize Outlook 2002 User Profile Account Info