The Search Folders feature was added to Outlook beginning with Outlook 2003. There are several predefined Search Folders available but the most useful Search Folders are the ones with customized filters.
Advanced Find gives you essentially the same feature, except it's not in real time and the search criteria cannot be saved.
Create a Search Folder
To create a Search folder, right click on Search Folders and choose New Search Folder.
Select one of the pre-defined options or create a custom search folder. The customized filter option is at the bottom of the New Search folder dialog.
- The Search folder filter dialog is also used for Views, Automatic Formatting, and Advanced Find. While you can't export the filter conditions and import them in the other filter dialogs, you can use the information you learned creating one filter when you create filters for other uses.
- Enable QueryBuilder if you need to create a Search folder that uses the OR operator.
- You can reduce the number of search folders needed by combining views with search folders. Make one search folder that does something globally then create filtered custom views to further control what you see.
- Search Folders remain active for 8 days, then stop searching until you use the folder again.
- There is a limit to the number of Search folders available with Exchange accounts.
- With Exchange accounts (including Outlook.com), search folders are stored in the cache file. They are not available online.
- Search folders are not supported in OWA in Exchange 2013 and newer, or in Office 365/Outlook.com.
How to Restore a Search Folder You Deleted
Use VBA to create an Outlook search folder
Use Instant Search to find messages from a contact
TabView is a plugin for Microsoft Outlook that allows you to search, sort, group, and view information in a few clicks. Tabbed Switch between customized search Filters and Views in any Microsoft Outlook Folders. The software provides an easy search of your Microsoft Outlook data through sorting and filtering them by tabs. It is a one-click filter switch that will save your time with pre-sorted, filtered items, such as e-mail, contacts, tasks, notes etc., and will show it in a custom view.
Finding the specific version of a document in email is frustrating. We have been working on a solution and want to know what you think about it. FoundFusion has a new Microsoft Outlook Add-in that indexes all your attachments and then automatically determines document similarity, history and relationships to provide a lineage of each document - regardless of file name, format, or location. It will save you time and frustration.
Lookeen Desktop Search with an optional Outlook add-in enables Windows users to quickly and easily browse all data in documents, e-mails, attachments, contacts, appointments, tasks and notes. Relevant information is at the user's fingertips within a few seconds, and search results are always up to date with real-time indexing. Advanced search queries and filter options allow users to easily narrow down a search. View & edit documents, reply to or forward emails and more from within Lookeen. Supports Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and Office 365, and Windows Vista, 7,8, and 10.
When you receive a message NameFromContact detects the sender address and searches for it in Contacts. If this address is in Contacts, NameFromContact retrieves the Display Name from the contact item and marks the message with a category. You see the name you have assigned to the sender.
NEO FIND organizes all emails automatically in the most logical and intuitive way people think about their messages: around the correspondent involved in the email communication. Adopting Caelo's patented virtual folder structure all emails (both sent and received) are organized in a Correspondent folder. This folder can be searched or filtered to quickly zoom-in on the message needed.
NEO Pro is an email organizer and search engine for Outlook that indexes emails (including multiple message stores), as they are sent and received, into convenient virtual folders such as Correspondent, Date, Attachment Type and Category for instant access. NEO Pro introduces Conversation View, which allows users to expand the thread in the message list. Includes email notation so that users can add notes to individual messages for future reference.
SearchGT quickly shows you information on the currently selected email, including a list of other emails you have received from that person. SearchGT currently works with Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010. It's supported on Windows32- and 64-bit, but at this time works only with 32-bit Outlook. SearchGT is currently freely available to anyone who is interested in being a beta tester.