Best practice for preventing virus infection is to never open an attachment from someone you don't know. It's a good idea to scan attachments even from known senders, especially if it's not a file you asked to receive or the cover note is suspicious.
These tools are specifically designed to examine incoming e-mail for viruses.
The Attachment Security update prevents Outlook users from launching files directly from e-mail messages. Outlook 98 and 2000 users should make sure that they have the latest updates affecting HTML mail.
Additional tools can be found on the following pages:
Anti-virus Tools for Attachment Security - tools specific to attachments, including easy access to the blocked attachment settings.
Anti-virus Tools for Exchange server - tools for use at the server level, for Exchange and other email servers.
For information on specific viruses, see Viruses Affecting Microsoft Outlook.
Tools in the Spotlight
It is an easy-to-use Microsoft Outlook add-on designed to provide an advanced intelligent protection against junk-mails, viruses, unsolicited emails. The program uses Bayesian filtering technology that identifies about 99% of incoming junk messages. QMailFilter seamlessly integrates into the MS Outlook, scanning all incoming emails. Emails identified as junk are moved to the Junk Email folder.
Scans system files and Outlook e-mail messages and attachments for viruses. Can also append a signature to mark that an outgoing message has been scanned for viruses and found clean. Free edition available.
Email Sentinel Pro is an prevention email anti-virus that blocks viruses from invading your computer by email. Version 2.7
Link Defender is an Outlook/Office 365 add-in that scans your e-mail message and evaluates potential risk of clicking on the contained web links, defending your business from falling victim to the latest advanced threats. Link Defender is more than just a link checker. It uses the largest, most accurate, and most up-to-date link reputation database in the industry, which includes more than 13 billion URLs. The add-in works with desktop and mobile form factors, Outlook for Windows and Mac, and web browser e-mail.
- Content Control Tools
- Protecting Microsoft Outlook against Viruses -- comprehensive list of patches and settings
- XADM The Melissa Virus Incident White Paper Is Available
- GFI Email Security Testing Zone -- free vulnerability tests
- XADM Calendar Items Disappear from User's Folders -- Do not use a file-level anti-virus program scan the Exchange 2000 M: drive.
Microsoft Anti-virus API:
- Microsoft Introduces New Antispam, Antivirus Features In Exchange Server 2003
- XGEN Microsoft's Position on Antivirus Solutions for Exchange 2000
- XADM Autoforward Rules May Be Disabled When Using Antivirus API
- XADM Event Logging in Exchange 2000 Server SP1 for Virus Scanning API 2.0
- XADM MAPI Tasks Do Not Work with Virus API Anti-Virus Software Running on the Exchange Server Computer