Best practice for preventing virus infection is to never open an attachment from someone you don't know. It's a good idea to scan attachments even from known senders, especially if it's not a file you asked to receive or the cover note is suspicious.
The personal and server tools in these sections are specifically designed to examine incoming e-mail for viruses. The Attachment Security update prevents Outlook users from launching files directly from e-mail messages. Outlook 98 and 2000 users should make sure that they have the latest updates affecting HTML mail.
Anti-virus Tools for Outlook - antivirus tools for use with Outlook.
Anti-virus Tools for Attachment Security - tools specific to attachments, including easy access to the blocked attachment settings.
For information on specific viruses, see Viruses Affecting Microsoft Outlook.
Protects against email viruses and other threats with multiple virus engines, content and attachment quarantine, HTML script analysis, recognition of common HTML mail exploits, and other features. Uses the Exchange Virus Scanning API to check both internal and external messages. An available freeware version includes one anti-virus scanner and performs basic keyword content analysis.
Hexamail Nexus acts as an intelligent email gateway for your incoming and outgoing mail. Analyzing received and sent e-mail, it can reroute, monitor, alert, block, filter spam, virus and malware, and audit all email traffic. For example you could begin with just advanced email rerouting, and later you can add antivirus or antispam protection, alerting, blocking or monitoring and analysis modules. Providing you with an intelligent messaging platform which you can plug modules as the need arises.
Performs anti-virus and content scanning of traffic between Exchange and the Internet. Can also perform automatic compression.
modusGate email security software solution provides comprehensive spam protection & Policy Management to protect against data leakage. Multiple predictive and deterministic filters coupled with Vircom's proprietary modusGate email security software solution provides comprehensive spam protection & Policy Management to protect against data leakage. Multiple predictive and deterministic filters coupled with Vircom's proprietary artificial intelligence-based content analyzer provides zero-day threat protection against viruses, botnets, phishing attempts and image spam. Compatible with Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 (32-bit)
SPAMfighter Exchange Module (SEM) is an easy-to-use and configurable Spam Filter and Antivirus for Exchange Server 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016.
Email security software for Exchange featuring world-class antivirus, antispam, and a powerful, granular attachment filter.
Sits between Exchange Server and the Internet to scan messages for viruses, attachments and unwanted subject lines and add a disclaimer to outgoing messages. Also handles scheduled ETRN and statistics and can keep a copy of every message sent. Can detect attachments in rich-text messages, remove rich-text or HTML formatting, block messages in different languages, block spam based on a spam DNS database,
The easiest way avoid is to keep your server free of viruses by scanning the mail as it arrives. However, occasionally a virus will slip through.
Most anti-virus tools are capable of scanning the message store and removing infected messages. You can also use ExMerge, Isscan (Exchange 5.5 only), or most Content Control Tools to look for and remove specific attachments or messages containing specific keywords.
Web-based virus scanners:
- XADM Background Scanning Behavior of the Antivirus Application Programming Interface
- XADM MAPI-Based Tasks Do Not Work with Virus API Anti-Virus Software Running on the Exchange Server Computer
- IIS Lockdown Tool -- Turns off unnecessary IIS features to reduce the likelihood of attacks on your servers using customized templates to support Exchange 2000 and 5.5 and other IIS-dependent servers.
- Microsoft Anti-virus Partners
- Content Control Tools
- Protecting Microsoft Outlook against Viruses -- comprehensive list of patches and settings
- XADM The Melissa Virus Incident White Paper Is Available
- GFI Email Security Testing Zone -- free vulnerability tests
- Protect Against E-mail-based Viruses (.NET Magazine)
- XADM Calendar Items Disappear from User's Folders -- Do not use a file-level anti-virus program scan the Exchange 2000 M: drive.
Microsoft Anti-virus API:
- Microsoft Introduces New Antispam, Antivirus Features In Exchange Server 2003
- XGEN Microsoft's Position on Antivirus Solutions for Exchange 2000
- XADM Autoforward Rules May Be Disabled When Using Antivirus API
- XADM Event Logging in Exchange 2000 Server SP1 for Virus Scanning API 2.0
- XADM MAPI Tasks Do Not Work with Virus API Anti-Virus Software Running on the Exchange Server Computer