You can easily change the Private flag (and many other fields) either by editing inline or dragging the item to a new group.
First, if you are not using a List view, you need to change to a table view, such as By categories. You can do this from the Home tab in some Outlook module, or the View tab, Change views in all modules.
Once you are in a List view:
- Right-click on the row of field names and click on Field Chooser.
- Find and drag the field you need to change (Private in this example) to the row of field names and drop.
If you see the row that says Click here (to add a new item), in-cell editing is definitely enabled and you can click in the boxes in the private field to change items.
If you don't see the Click here row, you can try clicking in the box (the new item row might be turned off). If it doesn't work, on the View tab, select View Settings, then Other Settings and Allow in-cell editing.
- To group by the field, right click on the row of field names and select Group By box
- Drag the field to the group box to group by it. Drag fields off to stop grouping by them.
- Right click on the row of field names and select Group by box to hide it.
To change many items as once, select a group (hold Ctrl or Shift to select multiple items) and drag to the other group.
To change all items at once, select the entire group by clicking on the group header then drag the group to the other group.
When you are finished, you can reset the view by clicking on the row of field names and choosing Custom or Customize, then Reset.
Change the Private Flag Tutorial
- The field chooser lists all fields available and groups them by item type. Some fields, such as From (also called Organizer) and Private are supported in multiple item types. You can choose the field from any item group (as I did in the video).
- If in-cell editing is enabled, you can click and edit many fields in the row, however, not all fields are editable. If in-cell editing is not enabled, click on the row of field names, choose Custom and enabled in-cell editing in Other settings.
- Some, but not all, editable fields can be updated by dragging to new group.
- If you don't see the little boxes in the column, try clicking anyway. Sometimes the view is goofy and doesn't show the boxes until you click in the row.