Outlook's December 2011 Updates
Microsoft released a large number of hotfixes for Outlook this week. The highlights include:
A hotfix for Outlook 2010 for Office 365 accounts that allows the Outlook social Connector to connect to their Office 365 My Site. KB 2597051
Custom actions defined for contacts in Outlook 2010 are not displayed in the contact's shortcut menu. (KB 2597012
When using a German keyboard to create a new email message in Outlook 2010, Ctrl+Alt+Q does not insert the @ sign. KB 2597001
December 2011: KB2597011
The following Outlook 2010 issues are addressed in KB2597011
- When a recurring all-day event is synchronized with a SharePoint calendar an additional all-day event instance is displayed after the end date.
- Removing an attendee from a meeting does not remove them from the associated Workspace.
- When an ANSI format .pst file is set as the default delivery location for email messages, the body of HTML messages you send to yourself may be blank.
- Offline address books over 2GB in size won't download.
- The Permission Level for a shared calendar in a shared mailbox is set to None when it should be set to Free/Busy time, subject, location.
- Outlook takes a long time to display free/busy information when the attendees mailboxes are located on different Exchange 2003 mailbox stores.
- After a user is removed as a delegate he may still be able to see private appointments.
- When using print preview some words in the subject line are displayed on two lines in month view.
- Outlook stops responding when you create a meeting request for an external recipient in the To field then switch to the Schedule Assistant.
- When the Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time check box for the operating system is cleared, Outlook doesn't work as expected.
- Outlook 2010 does not start correctly and there are Outlook.exe processes running in the Task Manager task list.
- Issues with multiple certificates assigned to one user are fixed.
- When using Show as conversations, copying messages in conversations and pasting in the Windows file system does not copy and paste all messages in the conversation.
- Using the Always Move Messages in This Conversation command may result in the body of the email message not displaying.
- Dismissing several reminders at once does not dismiss all of the reminders.
- Searching in online mode doesn't allow you to preview the found items.
- Search is slow when you search all mail items in online mode and the results may be incomplete.
- The Stop button is disabled and the magnifying glass icon is not animated when searching a folder containing many items.
- Group Policy cannot be used to set permissions on the Info pane.
- When an email message contains both plain text format parts and HTML format parts, the plain text format parts are removed from an email message that is in MIME format.
- Attachments contained in a Quoted-Printable UTF8 attachment may be corrupted.
Outlook 2010 November 8 2011 Update
An update for Outlook 2010 was released on November 8 2011. I'm not sure exactly what it covers, other than "the latest fixes for the 32-bit and the 64-bit editions of Outlook 2010. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements."
The KB article is a little sparse (ok, a lot sparse) on what fixes, other than it "does not replace any previously released update." The kb articles for the other Office 2010 updates are equally vague.
It would be nice to know what those stability and performance improvements are. Until Microsoft releases a little more information about the benefits of installing the November 8 updates for Office 2010, I'm going to pass on them.
**Note: based on the version numbers listed in the article, it looks like it a roll-up of previously released hotfixes that did not make it into SP1. At the very least, the KB articles should mention this.
A hotfix for Outlook 2010 was also released the last week of October. It includes some previously released hotfixes that were not included in SP1.
The hotfix can be downloaded from https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596485
The issues it addresses include the following:
- Saving messages to UNC shares results in the following error message: "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."
- Hyperlinks to files (file://) which contain a # sign within the path do not work: file://server/public/share/te#st (Still broken: hyperlinks ending in #.)
- There are no functions to disable Print Capabilities programmatically.
- Changing the Free/Busy publishing period using a group policy does not work as expected.
- Two issues with restricted permissions are addressed. The first: Editing a message that has restricted permissions then sending it results in a the following error message when the recipient opens it: "You have received a message with restricted permission. Open this item to read its content." The second issues involves the Do Not Forward permission on messages saved to the Drafts folder. When you add an address to the To field and send it, Outlook returns errors.
- In an IMAP account, NDRs disappear from the Inbox when you click to view another folder in the Outlook Folder List.
- The Download shared folders option is disabled when you upgrade to Outlook 2010.
- When you move a message with multiple recipients from Exchange server to a pst file and reply to all, then try to view the contact card of one recipient, the Organization and Member of tabs are not shown.
- When using online mode, recurring meetings created by an older version of Outlook which was using the Jerusalem time zone are shown on the wrong time, or not displayed at all.
June 2011 Hotfixes
In addition to SP1, four hotfixes were released for Outlook 2010 in June 2011. They include:
Outlook erroneously believes a meeting request on the last day of the month occurs in the past when you use Outlook Anywhere.
When you open a tasks list for a SharePoint 2010 site and Outlook 2010 is configured to use Korean, the "Custom Priority" field name displays wrong (it's wrongly labeled "Assigned to").
Appointments or meeting requests created in Outlook while using the Jerusalem time zone with DST disabled, may be off by one hour when viewed later.
The next hotfix applies (mostly) to issues involving Office365 and BPOS. However one issue that applies to Exchange server users involves searching the online archive mailbox with Outlook 2010 in cache mode. When you attempt to open an item in the search results, you receive the error message "Cannot open this item." See the KB article for the complete list of issues fixed.
Outlook 2010 Hotfix - May 2, 2011
A new hotfix for Outlook 2010 was released recently. It addresses several issues, including the following issues:
When you search in the online archive mailbox in Outlook 2010 in cache mode and try to open an item in the search results, you receive an error message: "Cannot open this item."
Outlook 2010 stops responding when you log on using an account that associates with the online archive mailbox
It addresses a number of issues in Office 365, including several issues where Outlook 2010 stops responding:
- When free/busy information is retrieved.
- When you send an email message.
- When a profile is created.
- When a reminder dialog box is used.
- Additional Office 365 issues include:
- Exchange server switches to use Basic authentication as the authentication mechanism.
- Updates the default value of the AllowNegoCapabilityHeader registry key so the header is not sent to the Exchange server.
- Adds log information for WinHTTP requests.
- Turns on a ring buffer to capture ETW RPC log information.
It also addresses an issue in BPOS where opening an exception to a recurring meeting displays attendees in duplicate in the To field.
See the KB article for complete details and a link to the hotfix.
Description of the Outlook 2010 hotfix package (Outlook-x-none.msp): May 2, 2011
April 26 2011
The April 26 2011 fixed a number of complaints users had, including IMAP users and the new mail icon: the new mail icon for IMAP accounts is restored with this update.
Additionally, you can now rename shortcuts for shared calendars and exceptions for recurring meetings no longer return this message: “The contents of this appointment have been updated. Open this appointment to see the updated text.”
Other issues that were fixed include the following:
- When you use the Repair command in Account settings and have a POP3 and Exchange account, the POP3 account changed to deliver to the Exchange mailbox.
- A Calendar public folder takes more than 10 seconds to display in Outlook 2010.
- Issues searching large pst files where users received the following error message: The operation failed because of a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, reinstall.
- Outlook 2010 does not return search results when you search for email messages from a sender whose display name contains a (~) character.
Download the hotfix here: Description of the Outlook 2010 hotfix package (outlook-x-none): April 26, 2011
At this time we are not aware of any issues caused by this hotfix. It will be included in a future update, possibly SP1, which is due out soon.
February 2011 Hotfix
This is a quick rundown of the Outlook 2010 hotfix in KB 2475877 . Please see the KB article for complete details before installing.
It contains fixes for problems relating to the following :
- Issues exporting messages and conversation view when the messages are imported.
- Error opening a message found using Instant search.
- Recall is disabled when you send on behalf of another person.
- Free/busy doesn't work for names selected from the autocomplete (nickname) cache.
- The autodiscover service does not complete successfully after applying the hotfix in KB article 2405793 when the user principal name (UPN) differs from the primary SMTP address.
- Moving a mailbox from one forest to another forest while Outlook 2010 is running results in duplicate email account entries for the same mailbox and other issues.
- Outlook 2010 does not close properly when using add-ins that use the MAPI_LOGOFF_SHARED parameter with IMAPISession::Logoff.
- Issues with setting the default permission level to Reviewer in Outlook 2010's Calendar then viewing the calendar with Outlook 2007. Users receive this error: Cannot open this item. Cannot open the free/busy information. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object.
- Missing folders that were moved from an Exchange mailbox to an IMAP account.
- Receiving an mail message or meeting request that has a lot of recipients. When you open the message or meeting request, Outlook is unresponsive as it tries to render the message or meeting request in the Reading Pane.
- Additional issues with meeting requests were also addressed.
- In Outlook 2010's calendar, the first week is skipped in the week numbering for the year 2013 if the first day of the week is set to Monday.