This page covers non-Microsoft MAPI transports for connecting to enterprise mail, calendar and workflow servers. All of these services require Outlook 97, Outlook 98 or Outlook 2000 in Corporate/Workgroup mode, Windows Messaging or Exchange client. They do not work with Outlook 98 or Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode.
The other solutions listed on this page differ widely in complexity and cost. Some are no longer available to new customers.
InsightConnector from Bynari is an Outlook addin that allows IMAP mailboxes to operate as full Outlook information stores containing any kind of Outlook items, not just the messages and posts that IMAP normally handles. When used with an IMAP server that supports folder access control lists (e.g. CommuniGate Pro, Cyrus (open-source), or InsightServer), InsightConnector also supports sharing of users' individual IMAP folders, as well as public folders. IMAP mailboxes configured with InsightConnector can operate as the primary information store for Outlook, through synchronization with a .pst file on the local machine. Meeting requests, sent items, and other Outlook features work just as you'd expect them to in an Exchange mailbox or standalone .pst file.
CommuniGate Pro MAPI Connector is a MAPI connector providing additional capabilities to Outlook clients against the CommuniGate Pro server.
Outlook 2000 includes a free cc:Mail transport. For Outlook 97 and Outlook 98, see Support for Lotus CCMail (Windows95, Windows98, & NT 4.0) for Outlook to download the latest version.
Outlook 2002 drops support for the cc:Mail transport provided by Microsoft. Transend's does support Outlook 2002.
- OL2000: (CW) Troubleshooting cc:Mail Connectivity in Outlook
- OL98 How to Configure a ccMail Account
- OL98: (CW) Troubleshooting cc:Mail Connectivity in Outlook
- OL98: Lotus cc:Mail Private Lists Are Not Imported
- OL97: Troubleshooting cc:Mail Connectivity in Outlook
- OL97: How to Use Cc-Mail Mobile with Outlook )
Lotus Domino & Notes
Microsoft-provided Outlook client component for access to an IBM Lotus Domino R5 server (version 5.0.1, 5.0.6, 5.0.8, 5.0.9, 5.0.10 or 5.0.11) for email, scheduling, address book, and task items. Download includes a PABImport.exe file to import the Lotus address book into the Connector. You must install the Lotus Notes client first and configure it to access the same server that you want the Connector to use. Cannot be used in the same profile as Exchange Server. Outlook 2002 only. May work with R6, though officially supported only on R5. Also see:
- OL2002 Draft Messages That You Create in Outlook Connector and Send From Lotus Notes Does Not Appear in Sent Items Folder
- Outlook 2002 Connector Hotfix Package October 14, 2003
Microsoft is working with IBM to release a new version of the connector that will add support for Outlook 2003 and for add support for Lotus Domino Release 6 messaging server.
Domino Access for Outlook
Lotus-provided Outlook client component for use with Notes Release 5.0.5 and later. See Understanding iNotes Access for Microsoft Outlook. (Formerly Lotus iNotes)
Older Lotus Notes client
Connecting Outlook and Exchange to Lotus Notes provides hints on making Outlook and Exchange/Windows Messaging work (at least somewhat) with Notes. Also see:
- OL2000 (CW): Outlook Does Not Work with Lotus Notes Mail
- OL98 (CW): Outlook Does Not Work with Lotus Notes Mail
- Lotus Notes Mail Not Available as a Service to MAPI After Outlook 2000 Installation -- Details on updating Mapisvc.inf
Connect2Exchange is an Exchange client for the Connect2 family of MHS-based mail products. You can use it to build an office mail system with shared address books and connections to many different kinds of messaging (e-mail, fax, etc.).
GroupWise 5.5 Plug-in for Microsoft Outlook is an add-in to enhance Outlook's ability to connect to Novell GroupWise servers for mail, calendars and collaboration.
Older versions of GroupWise also include a MAPI transport. Like the Lotus Notes transport, it has limited Outlook compatibility. See:
- OL2000 You Cannot Start Outlook After You Install Novell GroupWise
- OL2000: (CW) Using GroupWise and Outlook on the Same Computer (MSKB)
- OL98: (CW) Using GroupWise and Outlook on the Same Computer (MSKB)
- OL97: Using GroupWise and Outlook on the Same Computer (MSKB)
- novell.support.collaboration.groupwise5.clients discussion group
The SAP MAPI Service Provider allows Outlook and Exchange clients to access the SAP R/3 mail server and participate in SAP Workflow. Offline access is supported.
- OL98: Error Message: Outlook.exe Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Mpsap32.dll
- OL2002 You Cannot View or Expand a Folder Hierarchy That Is Created by SAP MAPI Service Provider -- fix available in Office XP Service Pack 2
Outlook 2002 uses a different design for connecting to MAPI transports. Therefore, some third-party MAPI transports may not work as expected. See: