Office XP Service Pack 1 consolidates the updates that Microsoft has issued for the various Office programs, including Outlook 2002, since the initial release. All future Office XP updates will require that you have SP-1 installed first. For an overview, see:
Installing Office XP SP-1
SP-1 updates both Office XP and standalone copies of Outlook 2002 or other Office applications. End users can visit Office Product Updates and let the site analyze your system and suggest the updates you need.
You can also download SP-1 (17.5mb) and run the file after you download it.
For versions localized into languages other than English, see Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit - Localized Tools.
- You may be asked to insert your original Office XP CD during the installation of SP-1. If the installation appears to hang, check to see whether the window prompting you for the CD has popped up behind the installation dialog. We've had reports of that occurring on Windows XP Pro systems.
- If you receive an Error 1328 error during installation, this may indicate that your original installation was done from an administrative setup point, so you should not use the download for individual users. Instead, see OFFXP: Error 1328 When You Apply SP-1 to a WorkstationIf that's not the case, the most likely cause is that you're trying to update a version of Office that was never officially released; see OFFXP Error 1328 When You Apply Office XP Service Pack 1.
- If you cannot access your e-mail accounts after installing SP-1, the fault may be not with Office but with ZoneAlarm or another personal firewall. Try shutting down the firewall (right-click the ZoneAlarm icon in the Windows system tray), then restarting it (check Start | Programs). That should be enough for ZoneAlarm to see the change in the version of Outlook (and other programs besides your browser that access the Internet) and prompt you to allow access.Microsoft actually recommends that you uninstall ZoneAlarm before performing the SP-1 upgrade, then reinstall it. While more time consuming, that approach is likely to result in less overall frustration. See OFFXP Cannot Access Internet with ZoneAlarm, Office XP SP-1.
- Microsoft has a new version of its Windows Installer program. While not required, version 2.0 fixes some bugs and is more reliable than earlier versions. It also may eliminate the need to reboot during the SP-1 setup process.
Download the administrative update from the Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit and follow the instructions there. Also see OFFXP How to Install Public Update to Admin Installations.
The first three new features for Outlook are more or less security-related. The last one appears to provide a way to get Outlook to reload a custom form from its original location when Outlook encounters a forms cache problem.
- OL2002 Users Can Read Nonsecure E-mail As Plain Text -- displays all incoming HTML and RTF mail as plain text, but can affect custom applications. All replies will also be in plain text. Also see Outlook 2002 SP1 - Read as Plain Text in our EMO newsletter. You can use the Attachment Options COM add-in to enable the Read as Plain Text feature
- OL2002- Disabling Password Caching for Internet Protocols
- OL2002 How to Disable Secondary Credentials Dialog Box
- OL2002 Er Msg The Form You Have Selected...Cannot Be Displayed
SP-1 provides general performance improvements and greater stability. The error reporting tool built into Office has provided Microsoft with a vast amount of data on Office application crashes. SP-1 apparently resolves a lot of those issues.
- OL2002: Delay Occurs When You Open a Message in Outlook 2002 with Instant Messaging Enabled
- OL2002: The IMAP Password Is Not Retained in the Same Session
- OL2002: IMAP Logon Defaults the Focus to the 'User Name' Field
- OL2002: User Is Prompted for Password That Is Already Saved
- OFFXP: Item Count Incorrect for Messages with Modified Permissions
- OFFXP: Cannot Send SMTP Mail Messages by Using a POP3 Account and SSL
- OFFXP: Deleted Items Still Generate Read Receipt Even If the "Never Send a Response" Option Is Selected
- OFFXP: Mail Delivery to Inbox Stops When the Personal Folder or Offline Folder Is Full
- OL2002 Can't Send SMTP Mail Messages Using a POP3 Acct and SSL
- OL2002 A Japanese Message May Be Unreadable in Outlook 2002
- OL2002 E-mail Message in Japanese Plain Text Is Unreadable
- OL Outlook Clients in Internet Only Mode Do Not Send IMAP LOGOUT Command to End Server Session
- OFFXP- Cannot Export Only One Day from Calendar
- OL2002: Running Outlook 2002 with the "/cleanfreebusy" Switch Resets the Resource Scheduling and Delegate Settings
- OL2002 Fields Truncate Direct Booking a Schedule+ 7.5 Resource
- OL2002: Outlook Displays a New Contact Name Incorrectly
- OL2002 Outlook Crashes Adding Contact with No E-mail Address
- OL2002 Outlook 2002 Limits Number of Contacts You Can Synch
Configuration and Connectivity
- OL2002: You Cannot Receive New E-mail Notifications in Environments That Use the Network Address translation
- OL2002 Exchange Server Name Not in Change Password Dialog Box
- OL2002- Outlook Does Not Support the UPN Logon Method to a Windows 2000 Domain
- OL- Cannot Log On to Exchange 2000 Server with UPN Logon Method
- OL2002 Error Message When You View Replica of Child Folder
- OL2002 DS Proxy Outages Cause OL2002 Connectivity Problems
- OL IMO Outlook Client Does Not End Server Session
- OL2002: Insufficient Rights to Browse the Directory on an LDAP Server
- OL2002 Access Violation Importing .sc2 File with Many Attendees
- OL2000 MAPI Message Store Can't Handle Free Threaded Access
- OL2002 The Level1Add Registry Key Is Missing from Outlook 2002
- OL: DMS 3.0 Users Receive Security Prompt When Using Outlook 2000 SR1 or Outlook 2002
- OL2002: Outlook 2002 Blocks ASX File Attachments
- OL2002: Error Message When You Use a Signature Certificate in the Security Settings
- OFFXP Outlook Incorrectly Signs E-mail w- Archived Certificate
SP-1 also adds three file extensions to the blocked list -- .mdt, .mdw, and .ops.
- OL2002 The Outlook View Control Exposes Unsafe Functionality
- OL2002 VBA Events May Not Work After Print Preview
- OL2002 Er Msg The Form You Have Selected...Cannot Be Displayed
- BUG: Sort Method May Sort Incorrectly with Recurring Appointments
- OL2002: IExchangeManageStore Interface Yields an Access Violation for Both the GetMailboxTable and the GetPublicFolderTable Methods
- OL2002: The Exchange Client Extension 'IExchExtCallBack::SetRecipients' Call Does Not Update the User Interface
- OFFXP: Messages That You Send While You Are Working Offline Are Moved to the Sent Items Folder When You synchronize the Offline Folder
- OL2002- MAPI Breaks IExchangeExportChanges Interface
- OL2002 Operation Failed Message When You Try to Attach a File
- OL2002 Outlook Raises an Exception If Mso.dll Fails to Load
- OL2002 Command -c form name Does Not Work with Turkish Settings
- Outlook MAPI Message Store Cannot Handle Free Threaded Access When Mspst32.dll Is Used
- OL Bullets Change into Numbers When Outlook 2002 User Replies
- See WD2002: Word Issues Fixed by Office XP Service Pack 1 for several other fixes that affect messages composed with Word 2002 as the editor.
- OL2002: Error Message When You Copy a File to a PST That Exceeds 1.82 GB
- OL2002 Excessive Network Traffic w- Cancel Request Dialog
After you install SP-1, Help | About Microsoft Outlook will show the version as Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.3513.3501) SP-1.
If you are using Outlook with a Microsoft Network (MSN) mail account, you will need to edit the account properties. While fixing a password problem, Microsoft made accounts that use the MSN/ prefix for the user name inoperative. You'll have to fix the user name yourself. See OL2002 Cannot Connect to MSN POP3 Servers After Upgrade to SP-1.
- OFFXP Overview of the Office XP Service Pack 1
- Office XP Update: Service Pack 1 (SP-1) -- Office Resource Kit