Office XP Service Pack 3 consolidates the updates included in Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), and updates released after SP2. Microsoft recommends using Office Update to determine if your computer needs this update before installing.
If you haven't installed SP3 yet, you may want wait a couple of weeks to give vendors time to update their products.
Installing Office XP SP3
SP3 updates both Office XP and standalone copies of Outlook 2002 or other Office applications. The choices for installing it are:
- Client Version -- use when you have access to your original installation disks
- Full File Version -- use when you do not have access to the original CDs.
- This update cannot be uninstalled. You'll need to use System Restore to roll back.
- Programs which worked flawlessly with Outlook 2002 -SP2 may trigger the security prompt in SP3 --check for a newer version of the add-in or application. See Problems for more information.
- Outlookcode.com has the latest information on programming issues.
Download the administrative update from the Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit and follow the instructions there. Also see OFFXP How to Install Public Update to Admin Installations.
The Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes the earlier released updates for office XP:
- 307843 OFFXP: Overview of the Office XP Service Pack 1
- 325671 OFFXP: Overview of the Office XP Service Pack 2
- 331866 Outlook 2002 update: December 4, 2002
- 812262 OL2002: Overview of the Outlook 2002 update: January 22, 2003
- 828040 Outlook 2002 Security Patch: March 9, 2004
The Office XP SP3 fixes the issues that are described in the following articles:
- 290011 OL2002: You cannot edit a task in TaskPad in the Calendar view
- 318119 OL2002 - Certains Custom Forms will not show correctly in the Preview Pane
- 321174 You receive duplicate e-mail messages when you click Send/Receive in Outlook 2002
- 321419 A custom MAPI transport program may not function as expected with Outlook 2002
- 321423 You cannot use the Outlook Object Module to set the SaveSentMessageFolder property for a mail item from a trusted COM add-in in Outlook 2002
- 321683 OL2002: You receive an Access Violation when you forward a meeting request to a user who has a delegate
- 322707 OL2002: Advanced find in Outlook 2002 returns incorrect data
- 323242 OL2002: The custom MAPI transport provider does not force Outlook to retrieve messages immediately
- 323366 A new browser window does not appear when you click active content in a Web page that was received as an HTML e-mail message in Outlook 2002
- 323612 OL2002: Error message: Microsoft LDAP Directory: Can't contact LDAP directory server (81)
- 324131 Subfolders are not imported when you import Netscape Communicator 4.x e-mail data
- 324273 Outlook 2002 stops responding with an access violation when you open a bad or a malformed task item
- 324315 The PSTDisconnectDelay registry setting does not affect how long the Auto-Compact utility runs for personal folder (.pst) files in Outlook 2002
- 324533 OL2002: New journal entry for contact creates two links to contact
- 324829 Outlook 2002 stops responding when you add an LDAP recipient to your Contacts
- 324830 Error message when you try to reply to an encrypted e-mail message
- 324856 An accepted meeting request does not appear in the calendar of your Exchange Server mailbox in Outlook 2002
- 324918 OL2002: "The operation failed. An object could not be found" error message when you add an attachment to a recurring meeting
- 324932 You are prompted to save or to cancel when you close a custom form in Outlook 2002
- 324940 OL2002: You cannot reply to messages that are opened with the 'IMAPISession::PrepareForm' and the 'IMAPISession::ShowForm' methods
- 325200 Custom Outlook profile may be ignored if multiple Office XP products are installed
- 325219 Outlook 2002 marks an e-mail message that is marked as read in your Inbox as being unread after you forward or you reply to the e-mail message
- 325895 OL2002: Filtered views do not work with custom keyword fields
- 326257 Automatically wrap text at option may not work in Outlook 2002
- 326311 You cannot send encrypted e-mail messages to a contact while you are working offline
- 326347 OL2002: Journal entry for a contact includes the contact's title
- 327019 OL2002: Some of your e-mail recipients are undeliverable
- 327058 OL2002: The message body of the NDR is blank
- 327291 OL2002: You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Synchronize Your mailbox after it has been moved to a different Exchange Server
- 327295 OL2002: E-mail address moves to a different address field
- 327316 The search results are empty when you use "Ce mois" (this month) as a search filter in Advanced Find in the French version of Outlook 2002
- 327317 OL2002: Broken parser for Italy phone numbers in Outlook contacts
- 327547 OL2002: Reminders may not function reliably with roaming profile
- 327563 OL2002: Outlook does not display the task names when you print calendars that have the tasks grouped by category in the Calendar view
- 327573 Line breaks are not inserted as expected in the text of an e-mail message in Outlook 2002
- 327594 OL2002: Toolbar buttons are not available when you switch between view controls on an Outlook home folder page
- 327595 OL2002: An extra signature is added when you insert an attachment programmatically
- 328005 OL2002: Error message occurs when you print calendar information to a Xerox document center printer
- 328178 You cannot open an e-mail message that uses a custom form in Outlook 2002
- 328281 OL2002: Sent Items folder does not populate the "To" and "Sent" boxes when your e-mail profile is configured to use an IMAP server
- 328323 Outlook quits when you try to open a contact from the Contacts folder or from a public Contacts folder
- 329098 OL2002: Add-ins are disabled if a process first starts Outlook
- 329294 OL2002: AutoArchive feature is not disabled when you use the DoAging registry key
- 329295 OL2002: The program that creates or configures MAPI profiles programmatically quits unexpectedly
- 329305 Image in signature does not display correctly in Outlook 2002 messages
- 329430 OL2002: You receive an error message when you restart Outlook in Online mode if you marked items to be deleted in Offline mode
- 329431 OL2000: Changes to a forwarded message cause undesirable changes to the original message
- 329447 OL2002: Default print style is set to Memo when you print from an IMAP folder
- 329454 Outlook 2002 message format overrides Exchange server message format
- 329458 OL2002: Outlook appears to stop responding when you choose an LDAP server from the address book
- 329653 OL: Size of Autosaved Outlook messages that have embedded objects may double when Word is the default editor
- 329660 OL2002: You receive error messages when you try to open the DirX address book in Outlook
- 329691 The space between the first and the last name of the user name is removed when you set up an IMAP account in Outlook 2002
- 329966 OL2002: IMAP synchronization marks messages as unread after they are read in Offline mode
- 330073 OL2002: Location field not populated when scheduling resource account
- 330460 OL2002: Downloading messages in Outlook deletes messages on POP3 server although you specify 'Leave on Server'
- 330898 Outlook 2002 cannot log on to the IMAP server
- 330981 OL2002: Error message: The Exchange mailbox conferencing resource is not configured properly
- 331057 When Outlook calls GetIdsFromNames on IAttach, Outlook quits or you receive a "MAPI_NO_SUPPORT" error message
- 331483 OL2002: You cannot use the quick key search in a large shared Inbox folder
- 331788 OL2002: Certain custom forms will not show correctly in the Preview pane
- 331908 OL2002: The "IExchExtCommands::DoCommand" return is not handled
- 331938 OL2002: You cannot programmatically retrieve the contact information in a contact link if Outlook 2002 is not running
- 810194 OL2002: "File Not Found" error message when you use the Common dialog DLL to open multiple Outlook message files
- 810260 OL2002: The Address field layout changes after you install Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1)
- 810364 A rule in Outlook may cause Outlook 2002 to stop responding
- 810488 An HTML-formatted e-mail message is not received by a recipient that uses a different e-mail protocol when it is sent in Outlook 2002
- 811296 OL2002: Outlook stops responding in the Mso.dll file when you open a message that is archived with third-party software
- 811472 OL2002: You are prompted to choose a profile when you send a link by e-mail in Internet Explorer
- 811950 OL2002: Transport provider is not notified if configuration changes when the provider is subscribed to the nkConfigHasChanged event
- 812478 OL2002: AlwaysSign or AlwaysEncrypt policy is not enforced on replied or forwarded messages
- 812480 OL2002: Outlook View Control returns only the current date
- 812790 OL2002: The prefix of the original message is missing in replied to or forwarded plain text message
- 813506 OL2002: "The value for appointment busy status is not valid" error message when you try to open an appointment
- 813565 OL2002: The "Duplicate Contact Detected" dialog box is not displayed when you save a contact that already exists to the Contacts folder
- 813949 OL2002: Remote mail downloads headers for deleted messages
- 814134 OL2002: QueryIdentity property may return MAPI_W_NO_SERVICE message
- 814377 OL2002: "Can't open this item. Operations on message headers can not be performed in this folder" error message when you open mail
- 814554 OL2002: "Set ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolder<FolderName>)" does not work as expected in the FolderSwitch event
- 814556 OL2002: Error message: Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location
- 814563 OL2002: Runtime error when you add a shortcut to your Windows NT 4.0-based computer
- 814758 OL2002: Typing Czech characters in your Offline address book locates the wrong contact
- 814993 OL2002: Offline address book is downloaded when you configure Outlook for offline use
- 815355 OL2002: The Free/Busy bar incorrectly displays busy for the whole day
- 815482 OL2002: The address book column widths are reset to the default settings
- 815626 OL2002: Spanish: Recurrent appointment start time changes from A.M. to P.M.
- 815924 OL2002: Names do not appear in the "Search Results" box when you search for names that have double byte character set characters in a LDAP address book
- 816020 OL2002: A calendar that you save as a Web page shows no appointments on the last day
- 816140 Infobar not updated when delegate accepts an exception to recurring meeting request
- 816477 OL2002: You cannot send plain text only messages by using Extended MAPI
- 817030 OL2002: Public folder home page not available offline with no network connection
- 817073 OL2002: Outlook rule based on LDAP entry does not fire
- 817270 OL2002: Outlook phone dialer dials a aero before dialing an internal phone number
- 817302 OL2000: Voting buttons are missing from e-mail messages that are opened on a DMS e-mail system
- 817325 OL2002: File As format changes to first name and last name
- 817420 OL2002: Error message: "Resource has declined your meeting because it is recurring"
- 817422 OL2002: "Always Ask Before Opening This Type of File" check box not available
- 818250 OL2002: Outlook contact local number includes City/Area Code when the phone number is configured for Austria
- 818500 OL2002: Contacts that are added from the Global Address List do not include the Business 2 field
- 818581 OL2002: Programmatically inserted attachment has blank icon and no caption
- 818900 OL2002: File path does not convert to UNC when inserted as a hyperlink
- 819103 OL2002: Keyboard language changes to a different language when you start Microsoft Outlook
- 819538 OL2002: E-mail messages that you send are lost if you pasted the address from a received e-mail message
- 819969 OL2002: The wrong name becomes the focus in the list of e-mail messages when you type a DBCS for the first character of the sender's display name
- 819971 OL2002: Incorrect e-mail address in To box
- 820029 OL2002: Error message: "Microsoft Outlook had problems encrypting this message... "
- 820367 OL2002: Error message in the Mso.dll file when you reply to an e-mail message that was sent by using the "Have Replies Sent To" option
- 820368 OL2002: The incorrect date and time appears for read receipts
- 820722 OL2002: Rules appear as turned off in the Rules Wizard
- 820733 OL2002: Programmatically inserted attachment has blank icon and no text
- 821188 OL2002: Error message "...The server is not available..." when you work offline
- 821291 OL2002:"The document entered into the Office document field is not associated with an Office Application..." Error Message When You Attach a Microsoft Office document to your online meeting request
- 821468 OL2002: Cannot set a filter when you programmatically create a Calendar View
- 821667 OL2002: You cannot use the Outlook Databinding control to view another user's Outlook folder
- 821804 OL2002: Tasks folder is repeatedly duplicated when you view the mailbox folder of another user
- 822115 OL2002: Items in Sent Items folder may show as sent when the items were not delivered
- 822558 Custom Form Action causes Outlook to quit unexpectedly
- 822614 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: July 1, 2003
- 822846 OL2002: The attendee status is reset after you add a new attendee to a recurring meeting
- 823232 OL2002: The To box is automatically populated with recipients when you forward a meeting request
- 823328 Outlook 2002 English post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: July 3, 2003
- 823956 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: July 18, 2003
- 823968 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: July 27, 2003
- 823970 Availability of the Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: August 10, 2003
- 824212 OL2002: Change made to accepted recurring meeting is not saved
- 825813 Availability of the Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: August 15, 2003
- 827137 Availability of the Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: August 22, 2003
- 827146 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: August 29, 2003
- 827349 OL2002: You receive 0x8004210A, 0x800CCC0B, and 0x8004210B error messages when you send and receive e-mail message with a POP3 e-mail account
- 827970 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: September 12, 2003
- 827979 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: September 19, 2003
- 829343 Outlook 2002 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: October 7, 2003
- 829344 Outlook 2002 French post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: October 13, 2003
The security updates added to SP3 are consistent with those in Outlook 2003, with one exception: COM add-ins, VBA, and published forms are not trusted as they are in 2003.
SP3 adds the Body, HTMLBody, WordEditor, and HTMLEditor properties to the list of properties that trigger the security prompt. You'll need to update any software which now triggers the security prompt. Since these properties also trigger the prompt in Outlook 2003, most, if not all, add-ins should have updated versions available now. Developers: see OutlookCode.com for more information.
To disable add-ins, go to Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, COM Add-ins. Remove the check from the add-in listing and close the dialogs.
For temporary workarounds, you can also use ClickYes.
To prevent the Acrobat PDFMaker COM Addin from loading, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\PDFMOutlook.PDFMOutlook and change the LoadBehavior value from 3 to 2. Restart Outlook. The PDF functions will still be available in Word and the other Office programs. Note that installing Acrobat updates may reset the registry key.
You may receive a warning similar to:
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\startup\palmapp.dot contains macros. Macros may contain viruses.
If you don't use the template, remove it from the startup folder, otherwise, disable Word as your email editor or use selfcert to sign the macro, then trust all macros signed by selfcert. See KB 217221 for more information on using selfcert.
If you are unable to access secure site (https) since installing Service Pack 3, see "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page on a Secure Web Site and use Method 2: Delete Your Existing User Profile.
The preview pane displays the sender's name and address in
Display Name [email@example.com] <firstname.lastname@example.org> format. This format is used on some, but not all, opened messages.
The following issues are covered in more detail in Sue Mosher's master article on the "object model guard" security prompts and her accompanying article for forms developers. Additional information on the development issues is at OutlookCode.com.
VBScript in forms won't run and folder home pages won't load in folders in delegated/shared mailboxes. Use the SharedFolderScript reg key to re-enable it on mailbox folder or PublicFolderScript reg key to enable it on Public Folders.
DWORD value = SharedFolderScript
DWORD value = PublicFolderScript
The forms cache is folder specific as it is in Outlook 2003..
ActiveX controls not marked safe for scripting won't load on one-off forms. Note that this is different from the more restrictive behavior in 2003 where all non-Outlook controls will not load on one-off forms. The AllowActivexOneOffForms reg key doesn't apply to Outlook 2002-SP3.
The <Filter> tag of the ViewXML property of the View Control won't work unless it's on a folder home page (i.e. "trusted").
After you install SP3, Help | About Microsoft Outlook will show the version as Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6626) SP3