As always, you should backup your registry before editing it.
You need to open the registry editor. To do this, go to Start Menu, Run (or the Start Search field in Vista/Windows 7) and type regedit to open the Registry Editor.
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Outlook\Journaling.
- Use the File, Export menu to back up this key before editing.
- To add a new key, right-click the Journaling key, select New, Key. Enter a name for the entry type, such as “Incoming Phone Call”. Your new key name doesn’t have to match the descriptive text that will appear in the Entry Type field, but you’ll find it easier if it does.
- Add values to your new key. You need two basic values for your new key to work:
Description: A string value. This is the text that appears in the Entry Type field of the Journal Entry. It doesn’t have to be the same value as the registry key, but may be easier if the description is the same as the key name. This key is required to display on the Entry type list unless you specify a binary DescriptionID.
Large Icon: A string value from 1 to 23 that appears in square brackets (""). This value determines which icon Outlook uses for items of this entry type in the Table, Icon, and Timeline views. Default is a blank sheet of paper if you omit this key. Number 24 and above is the standard yellow envelope. The large and small icons and their corresponding numbers are shown below.
- You can delete any entry types that you don’t want, with the exception of the Phone Call entry. You can rename the Phone Call entry by adding a Description string value with the text you prefer and deleting the DescriptionID field.