Best practice for preventing virus infection is to never open an attachment from someone you don't know. It's a good idea to scan attachments even from known senders, especially if it's not a file you asked to receive or the cover note is suspicious.
These tools are specifically designed to examine incoming e-mail for viruses.
The Attachment Security update prevents Outlook users from launching files directly from e-mail messages. Outlook 98 and 2000 users should make sure that they have the latest updates affecting HTML mail.
Additional tools can be found on the following pages:
Anti-virus Tools for Attachment Security - tools specific to attachments, including easy access to the blocked attachment settings.
Anti-virus Tools for Exchange server - tools for use at the server level, for Exchange and other email servers.
For information on specific viruses, see Viruses Affecting Microsoft Outlook.
It is an easy-to-use Microsoft Outlook add-on designed to provide an advanced intelligent protection against junk-mails, viruses, unsolicited emails. The program uses Bayesian filtering technology that identifies about 99% of incoming junk messages. QMailFilter seamlessly integrates into the MS Outlook, scanning all incoming emails. Emails identified as junk are moved to the Junk Email folder.
Scans system files and Outlook e-mail messages and attachments for viruses. Can also append a signature to mark that an outgoing message has been scanned for viruses and found clean. Free edition available.
Email Sentinel Pro is an prevention email anti-virus that blocks viruses from invading your computer by email. Version 2.7
- Content Control Tools
- Protecting Microsoft Outlook against Viruses -- comprehensive list of patches and settings
- XADM The Melissa Virus Incident White Paper Is Available
- GFI Email Security Testing Zone -- free vulnerability tests
- XADM Calendar Items Disappear from User's Folders -- Do not use a file-level anti-virus program scan the Exchange 2000 M: drive.
Microsoft Anti-virus API:
- Microsoft Introduces New Antispam, Antivirus Features In Exchange Server 2003
- XGEN Microsoft's Position on Antivirus Solutions for Exchange 2000
- XADM Autoforward Rules May Be Disabled When Using Antivirus API
- XADM Event Logging in Exchange 2000 Server SP1 for Virus Scanning API 2.0
- XADM MAPI Tasks Do Not Work with Virus API Anti-Virus Software Running on the Exchange Server Computer