Best practice for preventing virus infection is to never open an attachment from someone you don't know. It's a good idea to scan attachments even from known senders, especially if it's not a file you asked to receive or the cover note is suspicious.
These tools are specifically designed to examine incoming e-mail for viruses.
The Attachment Security update prevents Outlook users from launching files directly from e-mail messages. Outlook 98 and 2000 users should make sure that they have the latest updates affecting HTML mail.
Additional tools can be found on the following pages:
Anti-virus Tools for Attachment Security – tools specific to attachments, including easy access to the blocked attachment settings.
Anti-virus Tools for Exchange server – tools for use at the server level, for Exchange and other email servers.
For information on specific viruses, see Viruses Affecting Microsoft Outlook.
Tools in the Spotlight
It is an easy-to-use Microsoft Outlook add-on designed to provide an advanced intelligent protection against junk-mails, viruses, unsolicited emails. The program uses Bayesian filtering technology that identifies about 99% of incoming junk messages. QMailFilter seamlessly integrates into the MS Outlook, scanning all incoming emails. Emails identified as junk are moved to the Junk Email folder.
Scans system files and Outlook e-mail messages and attachments for viruses. Can also append a signature to mark that an outgoing message has been scanned for viruses and found clean. Free edition available.
DesktopOne works with your favorite email programs, such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird, and more, to protect your inbox from spam. Basic and Pro versions available.
Email Sentinel Pro is an prevention email anti-virus that blocks viruses from invading your computer by email. Version 2.7
Built on the Lionytics anti-spam API, the plug-in integrates with Outlook and offers full protection from all types of spam. Lionytics for Outlook monitors all incoming & outgoing messages. Automatic updates ensure that you’re always protected with the latest information available. Comprehensive coverage makes Lionytics a reliable option to combat spam in Outlook with unique features such as: message encryption, spammer scanning of your social media profiles, full social media management control, categorized scanning for: 419, pharmaceutical, or mlm spam, explicit or x-rated content, botnets, malware, and phishing.
Monitors incoming messages for known and likely email worms and suspected spam. Outlook 2000 and 2002 only. On Outlook 2002, it unblocks certain types of files that Microsoft normally considers dangerous so that it can perform its analysis.
- Content Control Tools
- Protecting Microsoft Outlook against Viruses — comprehensive list of patches and settings
- XADM The Melissa Virus Incident White Paper Is Available
- GFI Email Security Testing Zone — free vulnerability tests
- (.NET Magazine)
- XADM Calendar Items Disappear from User’s Folders – Do not use a file-level anti-virus program scan the Exchange 2000 M: drive.
Microsoft Anti-virus API:
- Microsoft Introduces New Antispam, Antivirus Features In Exchange Server 2003
- XGEN Microsoft’s Position on Antivirus Solutions for Exchange 2000
- XADM Autoforward Rules May Be Disabled When Using Antivirus API
- XADM Event Logging in Exchange 2000 Server SP1 for Virus Scanning API 2.0
- XADM MAPI Tasks Do Not Work with Virus API Anti-Virus Software Running on the Exchange Server Computer